There was a time, when poetry and literature and just writing in general, really was what kept me going. I sometimes miss it. It was such a creative and thoughtful time. Now I write a lot too, but it’s lost a bit of spark and quite a lot of the melancholy only teenagers can procure. And they say puberty wasn’t good for anything… I say “humbug!” to that!
Out of the many short pieces and poems I wrote during high school this is probably my favorite. I think it’s a wonderful reminder of how we carry the past into the future – nothing is really ever lost by the passing of time. Enjoy :-)
Omnipresent, ubiquitous
You linger
When I tried to run away your presence brought me back
holding me where I suppose I belong
You linger
Despite my attempts to make you go away
They were futile, I guess
Half hearted
because still
You linger
Have taken permanent residency in the cavities of my heart
what are you doing to me?
Turning away
then turning back
smiling then frowning
Closing, Opening
Yet always there
You linger
When you make me smile
I want to demand
yell at the sky
make this go on forever
but the sky…
it just mocks me with a shade of blue
that is too close to that of your eyes
to believe in the randomness of circumstance
I miss you, my friend, my heart
clumsily piecing together words
in an attempt to make not only the lack of you linger – the sadness
but also the happiness
Your laughter still rings in my ear.
they said we had no future
I say they were wrong
The past we shared has made our futures inseparable
and thus
for all eternity
you linger
No comments:
Post a Comment
please keep it clean and ad-free...